GATE Biotechnology Syllabus (GATE Biotechnology Notes PDF and also Books, Biotechnology Question Papers) : Download GATE Biotechnology Syllabus in PDF for the upcoming year updated as per recent official notifications from the Indian Institute of Science. Biotechnology is the use of living systems and organisms to develop or make products, or “any technological application that uses biological systems, living organisms, or derivatives thereof, to make or modify products or processes for specific use”. The overall GATE Biotechnology Syllabus for next exam has been officially released recently and we have provided below the updated details on that. With Proper preparation, GATE Biotechnology Syllabus can be easily taken over to the perfection.
GATE Biotechnology Syllabus Details
|Syllabus Scope||5 Section|
|GATE Biotechnology Syllabus||Download|
|Preparation Time||650 Hours|
Prelude to GATE Biotechnology Syllabus
Biotechnology is probably one among the few streams of engineering that has not got the same level of popularity as other flashy departments. Probably Biotechnology doesn’t need publicity to increase the scope, as India is the land of billion people.
Even through the Biotechnology Syllabus portion in GATE looks very huge and hard to study, once you start reading through few chapters, you will come to an absolute conclusion that GATE Biotechnology Syllabus is one of the most interesting and easiest of all the papers in entire GATE Syllabus.
GATE Biotechnology Question Papers
Below we have provided the exclusive downloads of GATE Biotechnology Question Papers. These Biotechnology Question Papers have been compressed so that the download will be much faster and it will consume less internet data.
Note that these GATE Biotechnology Question Papers has been optimized for viewing on Mobile Devices and Tablets.
Section A: GATE Biotechnology Syllabus
- Linear Algebra: Matrices and determinants, Systems of linear equations, Eigen values and Eigen vectors.
- Calculus: Limit, continuity and differentiability, Partial derivatives, Maxima and minima, Sequences and series, Test for convergence, Fourier Series.
- Differential Equations: Linear and nonlinear first order ODEs, higher order ODEs with constant coefficients, Cauchy’s and Euler’s equations, Laplace transforms, PDE-Laplace, heat and wave equations.
- Probability and Statistics: Mean, median, mode and standard deviation, Random variables, Poisson, normal and binomial distributions, Correlation and regression analysis.
- Numerical Methods: Solution of linear and nonlinear algebraic equations, Integration of trapezoidal and Simpson’s rule, Single and multistep methods for differential equations.
Section B: GATE Biotechnology Syllabus
- Biomolecules-structure and functions;
- Biological membranes, structure, action potential and transport processes;
- Enzymes- classification, kinetics and mechanism of action;
- Basic concepts and designs of metabolism (carbohydrates, lipids, amino acids and nucleic acids) photosynthesis, respiration and electron transport chain;
- Viruses- structure and classification;
- Microbial classification and diversity(bacterial, algal and fungal);
- Methods in microbiology; Microbial growth and nutrition;
- Aerobic and anaerobic respiration;
- Nitrogen fixation;
- Microbial diseases and host-pathogen interaction
Cell Biology: Prokaryotic and eukaryotic cell structure; Cell cycle and cell growth control;
Cell-Cell communication, Cell signaling and signal transduction
Molecular Biology and Genetics
- Molecular structure of genes and chromosomes;
- Mutations and mutagenesis;
- Nucleic acid replication, transcription, translation and their regulatory mechanisms in prokaryotes and eukaryotes;
- Mendelian inheritance; Geneinteraction; Complementation;
- Linkage, recombination and chromosome mapping;
- Extra chromosomal inheritance; Microbial genetics (plasmids, transformation, transduction, conjugation);
- Horizontal gene transfer and Transposable elements;
- RNA interference; DNAdamage and repair; Chromosomal variation;
- Molecular basis of genetic diseases
- Principles of microscopy-light, electron, fluorescent and confocal;
- Centrifugation- high speed and ultra;
- Principles of spectroscopy-UV, visible, CD, IR, FTIR, Raman, MS,NMR;
- Principles of chromatography- ion exchange, gel filtration,
- hydrophobic interaction, affinity, GC,HPLC, FPLC; Electrophoresis; Microarray
- History of Immunology; Innate, humoral and cell mediated immunity;
- Antigen; Antibody structure and function; Molecular basis of antibody diversity;
- Synthesis of antibody and secretion; Antigen-antibody reaction; Complement;
- Primary and secondary lymphoid organ; B and T cells and macrophages;
- Major histocompatibility complex (MHC); Antigen processing and presentation;
- Polyclonal and monoclonal antibody; Regulation of immune response;
- Immune tolerance; Hypersensitivity; Autoimmunity; Graft versus host reaction.
- Major bioinformatic resources and search tools;
- Sequence and structure databases;
- Sequence analysis (biomolecular sequence file formats, scoring matrices, sequence alignment, phylogeny);
- Data mining and analytical tools for genomic and proteomic studies;
- Molecular dynamics and simulations (basic concepts including force fields, protein-protein, protein-nucleic acid, protein-ligand interaction)
Section C: GATE Biotechnology Syllabus
Recombinant DNA Technology
- Restriction and modification enzymes; Vectors;
- plasmid, bacteriophage and other viral vectors, cosmids, Ti plasmid, yeast artificial chromosome;
- mammalian and plant expression vectors; cDNA and genomic DNA library;
- Gene isolation, cloning and expression ; Transposons and gene targeting; DNA labeling;
- DNA sequencing; Polymerase chain reactions; DNA fingerprinting;
- Southern and northern blotting; In-situ hybridization; RAPD, RFLP;
- Site-directed mutagenesis; Gene transfer technologies; Gene therapy
Section D: GATE Biotechnology Syllabus
Plant and Animal Biotechnology
- Totipotency; Regeneration of plants; Plant growth regulators and elicitors;
- Tissue culture and Cell suspension culture system: methodology, kinetics of growth and, nutrient optimization;
- Production of secondary metabolites by plant suspension cultures;
- Hairy root culture; transgenic plants;
- Plant products of industrial importance Animal cell culture;
- media composition and growth conditions; Animal cell and tissue preservation;
- Anchorage and non-anchorage dependent cell culture;
- Kinetics of cell growth; Micro & macro-carrier culture;
- Hybridoma technology; Stem cell technology; Animal cloning; Transgenic animals
Section E: GATE Biotechnology Syllabus
Bioprocess Engineering and Process Biotechnology
- Chemical engineering principles applied to biological system, Principle of reactor design, ideal and non-ideal multiphase bioreactors, mass and heat transfer;
- Rheology of fermentation fluids, Aeration and agitation;
- Media formulation and optimization;
- Kinetics of microbial growth, substrate utilization and product formation;
- Sterilization of air and media; Batch, fed-batch and continuous processes;
- Various types of microbial and enzyme reactors;
- Instrumentation control and optimization;
- Unit operations in solid-liquid separation and liquid-liquid extraction;
- Process scale-up, economics and feasibility analysis
- Engineering principle of bioprocessing- Upstream production and downstream;
- Bioprocess design and development from lab to industrial scale;
- Microbial, animal and plant cell culture platforms;
- Production of biomass and primary/secondary metabolites;
- Biofuels, Bioplastics, industrial enzymes, antibiotics;
- Large scale production and purification of recombinant proteins;
- Industrial application of chromatographic and membrane based bioseparation methods;
- Immobilization of biocatalysts (enzymes and cells) for bioconversion processes;
- Bioremediation-Aerobic and anaerobic processes for stabilization of solid / liquid wastes
Also See Syllabus Details of Other Courses like:
Conclusion on GATE Biotechnology Syllabus
It is always said that the wise men words are often neglected. However, we would like to again stress the fact that the Biotechnology Syllabus in GATE is one of the most important and crucial things that has to be properly taken care of.
Not just for examination point of view, Biotechnology Syllabus in GATE helps you in the overal development to become a good responsible officer who will play a crucial role in the development of the country in the decades to come.
Biotechnology can be a good optional if you are extremely brilliant at it but i do have a few problems. Biotechnology is going to help in any possible way.
If readers have any further questions on GATE Biotechnology Syllabus, you can drop us a mail or even post your question below on our comments section.
- 1 GATE Biotechnology Syllabus Details
- 2 Prelude to GATE Biotechnology Syllabus
- 3 GATE Biotechnology Question Papers
- 4 Section A: GATE Biotechnology Syllabus
- 5 Section B: GATE Biotechnology Syllabus
- 6 Section C: GATE Biotechnology Syllabus
- 7 Section D: GATE Biotechnology Syllabus
- 8 Section E: GATE Biotechnology Syllabus
- 9 Also See Syllabus Details of Other Courses like:
- 10 Conclusion on GATE Biotechnology Syllabus