GATE Petroleum Engineering Syllabus (GATE Petroleum Engineering Notes PDF and also Books, Petroleum Engineering Question Papers) : Download GATE Petroleum Engineering Syllabus in PDF for the upcoming year updated as per recent official notifications from the Indian Institute of Science. Petroleum engineering is a field of engineering concerned with the activities related to the production of hydrocarbons, which can be either crude oil or natural gas. Exploration and Production are deemed to fall within the upstream sector of the oil and gas industry. The overall GATE Petroleum Engineering Syllabus for next exam has been officially released recently and we have provided below the updated details on that. With Proper preparation, GATE Petroleum Engineering Syllabus can be easily taken over to the perfection.
GATE Petroleum Engineering Syllabus Details
|Full Syllabus Scope||1 Section|
|GATE IE Syllabus PDF||Download|
|Preparation Time||600 Hours|
Prelude to GATE Petroleum Engineering Syllabus
Petroleum Engineering is probably one among the few streams of engineering that has not got the same level of popularity as other flashy departments. Probably Petroleum Engineering doesn’t need publicity to increase the scope, as India is the land of billion people.
Even through the Petroleum Engineering Syllabus portion in GATE looks very huge and hard to study, once you start reading through few chapters, you will come to an absolute conclusion that GATE Petroleum Engineering Syllabus is one of the most interesting and easiest of all the papers in entire GATE Syllabus.
GATE Petroleum Engineering Question Papers
Below we have provided the exclusive downloads of GATE Petroleum Engineering Question Papers. These Petroleum Engineering Question Papers have been compressed so that the download will be much faster and it will consume less internet data.
Note that these GATE Petroleum Engineering Question Papers has been optimized for viewing on Mobile Devices and Tablets.
Section A: GATE Petroleum Engineering Syllabus
Linear Algebra: Matrix algebra, Systems of linear equations, Eigen values and eigenvectors.
- Functions of single variable, Limit, continuity and differentiability,
- Taylor series, Mean value theorems, Evaluation of definite and improper integrals,
- Partial derivatives, Total derivative, Maxima and minima,
- Gradient, Divergence and Curl, Vector identities,
- Directional derivatives, Line, Surface and Volume integrals,
- Stokes, Gauss and Green’s theorems.
- First order equations (linear and nonlinear),
- Higher order linear differential equations with constant coefficients,
- Cauchy’s and Euler’s equations, Initial and boundary value problems,
- Laplace transforms,
- Solutions of one dimensional heat and wave equations and Laplace equation.
Complex variables: Complex number, polar form of complex number, triangle inequality.
Probability and Statistics:
- Definitions of probability and sampling theorems,
- Conditional probability, Mean, median, mode and standard deviation,
- Random variables, Poisson, Normal and Binomial distributions,
- Linear regression analysis.
- Numerical solutions of linear and non-linear algebraic equations.
- Integration by trapezoidal and Simpson’s rule.
- Single and multi-step methods for numerical solution of differential equations.
- Classification and description of some common rocks with special reference to clastic and nonclastic reservoir rocks.
- Origin, migration and accumulation of Petroleum.
- Petroleum exploration methods.
Oil and Gas Well Drilling Technology:
- Well planning. Drilling method. Drilling rigs Rig operating systems.
- Drilling fluids function and properties.
- Drilling fluid maintenance equipment. Oil & gas well cementing operations.
- Drill bit types and their applications.
- Drill string & Casing string function, operations, selection & design.
- Drilling problems, their control & remedies.
- Directional drilling tools. Directional survey.
- Application of horizontal, multilateral, extended reach, slim wells.
- Petrophysical properties of reservoir rocks.
- Coring and core analysis. Reservoir fluid properties.
- Phase behavior of hydrocarbon system. Flow of fluids through porous media.
- Water and gas coning.
- Reservoir pressure measurements.
- Reservoir drives, drive mechanics and recovery factors.
- Reserve estimation & techniques.
Petroleum Production Operations:
- Well equipments. Well completion techniques.
- Well production problems and mitigation. Well servicing & Workover operations.
- Workover & completion fluids. Formation damage. Well stimulation techniques.
- Artificial lift techniques. Field processing of oil & gas.
- Storage and transportation of petroleum and petroleum products.
- Metering and measurements oil & gas. Production system analysis & optimization.
- Production testing. Multiphase flow in tubing and flow-lines.
- Nodal system analysis.
- Pressure vessels, storage tanks, shell and tube heat exchangers, pumps and compressors, LNG value chain.
Offshore Drilling and Production Practices:
- Offshore oil and gas operations & ocean environment.
- Offshore fixed platforms, Offshore mobile units, Station keeping methods like mooring & dynamic positioning system.
- Offshore drilling from fixed platform, jack-up, ships and semi submersibles.
- Use of conductors and risers. Offshore well completion.
- Deep water applications of subsea technology.
- Offshore production: Oil processing platforms, water injection platforms, storage, SPM and SBM transportation and utilities.
- Deep water drilling rig.
- Deep water production system.
- Emerging deep water technologies.
Petroleum Formation Evaluation:
- Evaluation of petrophysical of sub-surface formations: Principles applications, advantages and disadvantages of SP, resistivity, radioactive, acoustic logs and types of tools used.
- Evaluation of CBL/VDL, USIT, SFT, RFT. Production logging tools, principles, limitations and applications.
- Special type of logging tools.
- Casing inspection tools (principles, applications and limitations),
- Formations micro scanner (FMS), NMR logging principles.
- Standard log interpretation methods.
- Cross-plotting methods.
Oil and Gas Well Testing:
- Diffusivity equation, derivation & solutions.
- Radius of investigation. Principle of superposition. Horner’s approximation.
- Drill Stem Testing. Pressure Transient Tests: Drawdown and build up-test analysis.
- Wellbore effects. Multilayer reservoirs.
- Injection well testing. Multiple well testing.
- Interference testing, Pulse testing, well-test analysis by use of type curves.
- Gas well testing.
Health Safety and Environment in Petroleum Industry:
- Health hazards in Petroleum Industry: Toxicity, Physiological, Asphyxiation, respiratory and skin effect of petroleum hydrocarbons, sour gases.
- Safety System: Manual & automatic shutdown system, blow down systems.
- Gas detection system.
- Fire detection and suppression systems. Personal protection system & measures.
- HSE Policies. Disaster & crisis management in Petroleum Industry.
- Environment: Environment concepts, impact on eco-system, air, water and soil.
- The impact of drilling & production operations on environment, Environmental transport of petroleum wastes.
- Offshore environmental studies.
- Offshore oil spill and oil spill control.
- Waste treatment methods.
Enhanced Oil Recovery Techniques:
- Basic principles and mechanism of EOR, Screening of EOR process.
- Concept of pattern flooding, recovery efficiency, permeability heterogeneity.
- Macroscopic and microscopic displacement efficiency.
- EOR methods: Chemical flooding, Miscible flooding,
- Thermal recoveries (steam stimulation, hot water & steam flooding, in-situ combustion),
- Microbial EOR.
Latest trends in Petroleum Engineering: Coal bed methane, shale gas, oil shale, gas
hydrate, and heavy oil.
Also See Syllabus Details of Other Courses like:
Conclusion on GATE Petroleum Engineering Syllabus
It is always said that the wise men words are often neglected. However, we would like to again stress the fact that the Petroleum Engineering Syllabus in GATE is one of the most important and crucial things that has to be properly taken care of.
Not just for examination point of view, Petroleum Engineering Syllabus in GATE helps you in the overal development to become a good responsible officer who will play a crucial role in the development of the country in the decades to come.
Petroleum Engineering can be a good optional if you are extremely brilliant at it but i do have a few problems. Petroleum Engineering is going to help in any possible way.
If readers have any further questions on GATE Petroleum Engineering Syllabus, you can drop us a mail or even post your question below on our comments section.
- 1 GATE Petroleum Engineering Syllabus Details
- 2 Prelude to GATE Petroleum Engineering Syllabus
- 3 GATE Petroleum Engineering Question Papers
- 4 Section A: GATE Petroleum Engineering Syllabus
- 5 Also See Syllabus Details of Other Courses like:
- 6 Conclusion on GATE Petroleum Engineering Syllabus