UPSC Statistics Syllabus 2018 (UPSC Mains Statistics Syllabus and also Books, Notes and Question Papers) : Download UPSC Statistics Syllabus in PDF for the upcoming year updated as per recent official notifications from the Central UPSC Exams Board. Statistics is a branch of mathematics dealing with the collection, analysis, interpretation, presentation, and organization of data. The overall UPSC Statistics Syllabus for 2018 has been officially released recently and we have provided below the updated details on that. With Proper preparation, UPSC Statistics Syllabus can be easily taken over to the perfection.
Critical Details on UPSC Statistics Syllabus 2018
|Total Scope||Two Sections|
|UPSC Statistics Syllabus||Download|
|Preparation Time||740 Hours|
UPSC Statistics Syllabus Prelude
First and foremost, you must talk to someone who has taken Statistics as an optional earlier and take their advice. There has been a common misconception among the students that UPSC Statistics Syllabus is a hard nut to crack and its better to leave it as an optional paper. You are absolutely wrong.
Even through the Statistics Syllabus portion in UPSC looks very huge and hard to study, once you start reading through few chapters, you will come to an absolute conclusion that UPSC Statistics Syllabus is one of the most interesting and easiest of all the papers in entire UPSC Syllabus.
Paper- 1 UPSC Statistics Syllabus Section A
Statistical Inference : UPSC Statistics Syllabus
- Consistency, unbiasedness, efficiency, sufficiency
- Rao-Blackwell and Lehmann-Scheffe theorems, Cramer-Rao inequality for single parameter
- Estimation by methods of moments, maximum likelihood, least squares
- Non-randomised and randomised tests, critical function, MP tests, Neyman-Pearson lemma, UMP tests
- Confidence bounds and its relation with tests. Kolmogoroff’s test for goodness of fit and its consistency, sign test and its optimality
- Wilcoxon signed-ranks test and its consistency, Kolmogorov-Smirnov two-sample test, run test, Wilcoxon-Mann-Whitney test and median test
- Wald’s SPRT and its properties, OC and ASN functions for tests regarding parameters for Bernoulli
- Wald’s fundamental identity
Linear Inference and Multivariate Analysis :
- Linear statistical models
- Gauss-Markoff theory, normal equations
- Test of significance and interval estimates based on least squares theory
- Curvilinear regression and orthogonal polynomials, multiple regression
- Mahalanobis-D2 and Hotelling’s T2 statistics and their applications and properties
Sampling Theory :
- An outline of fixed-population and superpopulation approaches, distinctive features of finite population sampling
- Probability sampling designs, simple random sampling with and without replacement, stratified random sampling
- Two -phase sampling, probability proportional to size sampling with and without replacement
- Fixed effects model (two-way classification) random and mixed effects models
- BIBD, missing plot technique, factorial experiments and 2n and 32, confounding in factorial experiments
- Split-plot and simple lattice designs, transformation of data Duncan’s multiple range test
Paper- 2 UPSC Statistics Syllabus Section A
Industrial Statistics :
- Process and product control, general theory of control charts, different types of control charts for variables and attributes
- Single, double, multiple and sequential sampling plans for attributes, OC, ASN, AOQ and ATI curves
- Concept of reliability, failure rate and reliability functions, reliability of series and parallel systems and other simple configurations, renewal density
- Problems in life testing, censored and truncated experiments for exponential models
Optimization Techniques :
- Different types of models in Operations Research, their construction and general methods of solution, simulation and Monte- Carlo methods formulation of linear programming
- Replacement of failing or deteriorating items, group and individual replacement policies, concept of scientific inventory management and analytical structure of inventory problems
- Homogeneous discrete-time Markov chains, transition probability matrix, classification of states and ergodic theorems, homogeneous continuous-time Markov chains
- Solution of statistical problems on computers using well-known statistical software packages like SPSS
Quantitative Economics :
- Determination of trend, seasonal and cyclical components, Box-Jenkins method, tests for stationary series, ARIMA models and determination of orders of autoregressive and moving average components
- General linear model, ordinary least square and generalized least squares methods of estimation, problem of multi-collinearity, consequences and solutions of mult-icollinearity, auto-correlation and its consequences
- Present official statistical system in India relating to population, agriculture, industrial production, trade and prices, methods of collection of official statistics
- Various official agencies responsible for data collection and their main functions
Demography and Psychometry :
- Demographic data from census, registration, NSS other surveys, their limitations and uses, definition
- Standardized death rate, complete and abridged life tables, construction of life tables from vital statistics and census returns, uses of life tables, logistic and other population growth curves.
- Health surveys and use of hospital statistics. Methods of standardization of scales and tests
- Validity and reliability of test scores and its determination, use of factor analysis and path analysis in psychometry
Statistics Syllabus Tips from Ranker
It is possible to crack UPSC Mains exam when taking statistics as optional but it is possible in single situation if statistics is your favorite subject or you are best in subject and you are familiar with the subject
Statistics could prove to be very high scoring and if you have read it in grad,it will take you less time to cover the syllabus and in turn the revisions as well.
Go through the UPSC Statistics syllabus and check if you’re well-versed with all the topics mentioned in the syllabus.
Statistics is a good subject I too had the same subject and was very successful inspite of not joining coaching.
Also See Syllabus Details of Other Courses like:
|UPSC Anthropology Syllabus||UPSC Psychology Syllabus|
|GATE AE Syllabus||CFA Level 1 Syllabus|
|FRM Level 1 Syllabus||CS Professional Syllabus|
|UPSC Geography Syllabus||UPSC Botany Syllabus|
|UPSC Zoology Syllabus||CMA Syllabus|
Final Word : UPSC Mains Statistics Syllabus
It is always said that the wise men words are often neglected. However, we would like to again stress the fact that the Statistics Syllabus in UPSC is one of the most important and crucial things that has to be properly taken care of.
Not just for examination point of view, Statistics Syllabus in UPSC helps you in the overal development to become a good responsible officer who will play a crucial role in the development of the country in the decades to come.
Statistics can be a good optional if you are extremely brilliant at it but i do have a few problems. Statisticsis not going to help an ias in any possible way.
There has been a news circulating that, UPSC may remove optionals in coming years.mind you its not a rumor but actual happening in near future.
If readers have any further questions on UPSC Statistics Syllabus, you can drop us a mail or even post your question below on our comments section.
- 1 Critical Details on UPSC Statistics Syllabus 2018
- 2 UPSC Statistics Syllabus Prelude
- 2.1 Paper- 1 UPSC Statistics Syllabus Section A
- 2.2 Paper- 2 UPSC Statistics Syllabus Section A
- 3 Statistics Syllabus Tips from Ranker
- 4 Also See Syllabus Details of Other Courses like:
- 5 Final Word : UPSC Mains Statistics Syllabus