UPSC Zoology Syllabus 2018 (UPSC Mains Zoology Syllabus and also Books, Notes and Question Papers) : Download UPSC Zoology Syllabus in PDF for the upcoming year updated as per recent official notifications from the Central UPSC Exams Board. Zoology is the scientific study of the behaviour, structure, physiology, classification, and distribution of animals. The overall UPSC Zoology Syllabus for 2018 has been officially released recently and we have provided below the updated details on that. With Proper preparation, UPSC Zoology Syllabus can be easily taken over to the perfection.
Fore Note on UPSC Zoology Syllabus 2018
|Total Scope||3 Sections|
|UPSC Zoology Syllabus||Download|
|Preparation Time||390 Hours|
UPSC Zoology Syllabus Notes
There has been a common misconception among the students that UPSC Zoology Syllabus is a hard nut to crack and its better to leave it as an optional paper. You are absolutely wrong.
Even through the Zoology Syllabus portion in UPSC looks very huge and hard to study, once you start reading through few chapters, you will come to an absolute conclusion that UPSC Zoology Syllabus is one of the most interesting and easiest of all the papers in entire UPSC Syllabus.
Paper- I Principles of Zoology
Ecology UPSC Zoology Syllabus
- Biosphere: Concept of biosphere; biomes, Biogeochemical cycles, Human induced changes in atmosphere including green house effect, ecological succession, biomes and ecotones, community ecology
- Concept of ecosystem; structure and function of ecosystem, types of ecosystem, ecological succession, ecological adaptation.
- Population; characteristics, population dynamics, population stabilization.
Economic Zoology : UPSC Zoology Syllabus
- Apiculture, sericulture, lac culture, carp culture, pearl culture, prawn culture, vermiculture.
- Major infectious and communicable diseases (malaria, filaria, tuberculosis, cholera and AIDS) their vectors, pathogens and prevention.
- Cattle and livestock diseases, their pathogen (helminthes) and vectors (ticks, mites, Tabanus, Stomoxys).
- Pests of sugar cane (Pyrilla perpusiella) oil seed (Achaea janata) and rice (Sitophilus oryzae).
- Transgenic animals.
- Medical biotechnology, human genetic disease and genetic counselling, gene therapy.
- Forensic biotechnology
Ethology UPSC Zoology Syllabus
- Behaviour: Sensory filtering, reponsive-ness, sign stimuli, learning and memory, instinct, habituation, conditioning, imprinting.
- Role of hormones in drive; role of pheromones in alarm spreading; crypsis, predator detection, predator tactics, social hierarchies in primates, social organization in insects.
- Orientation, navigation, homing, biological rhythms, biological clock, tidal, seasonal and circadian rhythms.
- Methods of studying animal behaviour including sexual conflict, selfishness, kinship and altruism.
Cell Biology UPSC Zoology Syllabus
- Structure and function of cell and its organelles (nucleus, plasma membrane, mitochondria, Golgi bodies, endoplasmic reticulum, ribosomes, and lysosomes), cell division (mitosis and meiosis), mitotic spindle and mitotic apparatus, chromosome movements, chromosome type polytene and lambrush, organization of chromatin, heterochromatin, Cell cycle regulation.
- Nucleic acid topology, DNA motif, DNA replication, transcription, RNA processing, translation, protein foldings and transport.
Genetics UPSC Zoology Syllabus
- Modern concept of gene, split gene, genetic regulation, genetic code.
- Sex chromosomes and their evolution, sex determination in Drosophila and man.
- Mendel’s laws of inheritance, recombination, linkage, multiple alleles, genetics of blood groups, pedigree analysis, hereditary diseases in man.
- Mutations and mutagenesis.
- Recombinant DNA technology; plasmid, cosmid, artificial chromosomes as vectors, transgenic, DNA cloning and whole animal cloning (principles and methods).
- Gene regulation and expression in prokaryotes and eukaryotes.
- Signal molecules, cell death, defects in signaling pathway and consequences.
- RFLP, RAPD and AFLP and application of RFLP in DNA finger printing, ribozyme technologies, human genome project, genomics and protomics
Evolution UPSC Zoology Syllabus
- Theories of origin of life
- Theories of evolution; Natural selection, role of mutations in evolution, evolutionary patterns, molecular drive, mimicry, variation, isolation and speciation
- Evolution of horse, elephant and man using fossil data
- Hardy-Weinberg Law
- Continental drift and distribution of animals
Physiology UPSC Zoology Syllabus
- Composition and constituents of blood; blood groups and Rh factor in man, factors and mechanism of coagulation, iron metabolism, acid-base balance, thermo-regulation, anticoagulants.
- Haemoglobin: Composition, types and role in transport of oxygen and carbon dioxide.
- Digestion and absorption: Role of salivary glands, liver, pancreas and intestinal glands.
- Excretion: nephron and regulation of urine formation; osmo-regulation and excretory product.
- Muscles: Types, mechanism of contraction of skeletal muscles, effects of exercise on muscles.
- Neuron: nerve impulse – its conduction and synaptic transmission, neurotransmitters.
- Vision, hearing and olfaction in man.
- Physiology of reproduction, puberty and menopause in human
Zoology Syllabus Tips from Ranker
If you look at the syllabus of Zoology Optional, you would know that it’s demanding in both terms; your time and efforts.
Looking at its lengthy syllabus, aspirants must acknowledge that there is many things to cover under a limited time.
Furthermore, understanding the syllabus will also help you to differentiate between what to study what not to study.
Zoology is mostly preferred by the students from Medicine, Life Science, Forestry, Agriculture, Zoology or Botany background. Students from the other background.
Zoology, being a vast optional subject includes diverse elements. The subject demands intense reading sessions to understand its complex concepts and sub-topics.
Zoology being a subject that’s loaded with abundant figure and information it’s highly advisable to turn it into concise short and crispy notes.
Also See Syllabus Details of Other Courses like:
|UPSC Anthropology Syllabus||UPSC Psychology Syllabus|
|GATE AE Syllabus||CFA Level 1 Syllabus|
|FRM Level 1 Syllabus||CS Professional Syllabus|
|UPSC Geography Syllabus||UPSC Botany Syllabus|
Conclusion : UPSC Mains Zoology Syllabus
It is always said that the wise men words are often neglected. However, we would like to again stress the fact that the Zoology Syllabus in UPSC is one of the most important and crucial things that has to be properly taken care of.
Not just for examination point of view, Zoology Syllabus in UPSC helps you in the overal development to become a good responsible officer who will play a crucial role in the development of the country in the decades to come.
Zoology can be a good optional if you are extremely brilliant at it but i do have a few problems. Zoologyis not going to help an ias in any possible way.
There has been a news circulating that, UPSC may remove optionals in coming years.mind you its not a rumor but actual happening in near future.
If readers have any further questions on UPSC Zoology Syllabus, you can drop us a mail or even post your question below on our comments section.
- 1 Fore Note on UPSC Zoology Syllabus 2018
- 2 UPSC Zoology Syllabus Notes
- 3 Paper- I Principles of Zoology
- 4 Zoology Syllabus Tips from Ranker
- 5 Also See Syllabus Details of Other Courses like:
- 6 Conclusion : UPSC Mains Zoology Syllabus